Bingo is regarded as one of the most popular gambling games played in the United Kingdom. Decades gone by may have seen bingo halls as the go-to destination for action, but the last twenty years have seen online bingo rooms become the number one spot to play bingo in the UK.
Bingo is one of the easiest games to try your hand at if you’re new to betting online. However, that doesn’t mean that you won’t need a helping hand to get started. Having played bingo online for well over a decade, I’m ideally placed to help new roomies get started, and that’s exactly what will happen right here in today’s blog.
Types of Bingo Games
Firstly, you should know that there are several types of games that you can find at trusted non-GamStop bingo rooms. The UK’s most popular game is 90-ball bingo but let me introduce you to the three most popular options and what each brings to the table. They include:
- 90-Ball Bingo: The UK’s favorite bingo game is played with 90 balls, each with its own “call sign”. Cards are shown in three rows of nine columns. You can win if you match a line, two lines or a full house (clear all numbers).
- 80-Ball Bingo: 80-ball bingo is played on 4×4 cards. You need to make “patterns” or bag a full house to win prizes in this game. On occasion, lines may be completed vertically, horizontally, or diagonally to win prizes based on the game you’re playing.
- 75-Ball Bingo: Most popular in the US, this game is played over an extensive 5×5 grid, with the middle square acting as a wild. You’ll need to make patterns to win here, but there are often many different types available to bag a prize.
Aside from the main variations listed above, other popular bingo games you can play online include 30-ball bingo, 5-line bingo, and progressive jackpot bingo. The latter pays out its top prize if you can call bingo (get a full house) within a given number of calls or numbers being drawn. If not, the prize rolls over to the next game.
How to Play Bingo
Playing bingo is straightforward. You only really need to know two things – how to buy tickets and how to win. I’m going to lay out the process for you as straightforward as possible below. Here’s what you need to know:
You must first purchase tickets. Tickets can cost anything from 1p up to £2 a game. The general rule is that the bigger the prize is, the more costly the tickets are. After purchasing a ticket, you’re entered into the game. Games have specific start times, so if you miss the window, you’ll be entered into the next game. In major bingo games, you can also pre-buy tickets for future games, so you don’t have to be actively signed in when the game takes place to win.
Once the game begins, numbers will be drawn. You don’t have to cross these off or check them. They are dealt with automatically. At the same time, bingo games can be played in rooms, which work like chat rooms. Each room may have a chatty host, you can talk to other players, and rooms may be themed based on the games that they offer.
Winning at Online Bingo
How you win at bingo depends on the game you play. In 90-ball bingo, you can win 1-line, 2-line or full house prizes if you complete all numbers on a single line, two lines, or the entire card. In pattern bingo games (75-ball), you must form patterns, such as coffee cups, Christmas trees and so on, on the card when checking off numbers. 80-ball bingo features a mix of the two rules.
Additionally, runners-up may pocket prizes. This won’t be the case in every game, but if you see 1TG (one to go) and 2TG (two to go) prizes, this means that you’ll win if the game ends and you have just one more number or two more numbers to call.
The prizes are generally determined by the number of tickets purchased. The more players there are, the greater the prizes will be. The exception to this rule is jackpot bingo games, or bingo tournaments, where the prize is determined before the game by the bingo room or casino site. These may be known as coverall, snowball, or jackpot bingo games.
About Bingo Promos and Bonuses
Just as online casinos will offer a 100% casino bonus to their new members, bingo rooms also support bonuses and promotions. You may be able to claim welcome bonuses when depositing for the first time, or you may receive free bingo tickets or get to play free bingo for a period of time after registering.
Special promos are plentiful on bingo sites, but the one to watch out for is the BOGOF deal. These are “Buy One Get One Free” offers on tickets. You should also keep an eye out for special bonuses, such as loyalty rewards on social media and bingo rooms that feature chat functions that can often see you pocket prizes via quizzes and other fun, community-based things. The T&Cs attached to bingo promos are generally fairer than at online casinos, to boot.
Finally, I would advise you to learn the lingo. Bingo has its own unique terminology, especially in the UK. Most (albeit not all) bingo numbers have their own call signs, so it’s worth exploring a list of bingo calls for UK players. At the same time, you’ll want to learn about words such as roomie, 1TG, 2TG, BOGOF, calls, and more.
The UK often utilizes rather comical and funny terminology for bingo, and that, coupled with an active community of hosts and fellow players, makes playing bingo an exciting experience unlike anything you’ll find in online casinos.
5 Top Tips for Playing Bingo Online
- Learn the lingo. There are so many terms and learning them will help you understand what’s going on.
- 90-ball bingo generally offers bigger prizes than pattern-based games, and despite the excess of numbers, it is arguably easier to land wins.
- Choose online casinos and bingo rooms, which feature a wealth of games to give yourself more options.
- Take advantage of BOGOF deals where you can find them. These double the number of tickets you can play with.
- Many online bingo rooms offer free bingo games. Normally, you only need to be funded (have money in your account) to play these real money options.
Play Online Bingo at Trusted UK Sites Today
There are so many bingo options for you to explore at the most trustworthy sites. Check our bingo room and online casino reviews to find the ideal place to play. If you’re based in the UK and want to play 90-ball bingo, you’ll likely come across sites packed with promos, bonuses, jackpot games, and even online casino games, such as slots. Head over to our recommended bingo sites to get started playing Britain’s favorite gambling game today.